Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Odds and Ends

Just another six more days of baseball season, and then my focus will shift entirely to horse racing!

In the meantime, I wanted to post on a few assorted items. At this stage there are only a handful of people reading this blog because I haven't gotten to promote it much yet (and wouldn't necessarily want to until I'm posting more regularly). In an odd coincidence though, one of those few readers is apparently Chuck Simon...the man who trained Comic Relief to her only career win. I made two posts about Comic Relief and why I think she'd be an underrated broodmare prospect (despite the lack of success of her first few children). Chuck provided some really detailed information on her. To me, the key points are:
1. The injury that forced her retirement is not something that would change my assessment of her promise for breeding.
2. She should probably be bred to sires whose offspring do well on turf.
3. Her connections believed she would have been a potential stakes winner.

I'm currently working on a study of claiming horses that go on to be stakes winners or stakes placed, and how to identify claimers who are more likely to do so. While I have a great capacity for completing length, boring tasks, if anyone can point me in the direction of a complete list of U.S. stakes winners for 2007 and 2008, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'll be typing the complete list in by hand.

2 comments:

clay said...

do you know the name or better yet the results of comic relief's breeding with Bernstein? Bernstein has been a hot sire of late and was wondering if their colt was having any success. thx

Alex said...

Clay - It's a yearling colt named King Bee. We'll have to wait at least a year to see what kind of success he'll have.