Friday, September 5, 2008

Exclusive Quality

In my last two posts I talked about a mare named Comic Relief. It appears that she lives in Florida, based on the stallions she been bred to so far. So who would be a good stallion to send her to? How about the fastest son of Elusive Quality? No, not Smarty Jones! Exclusive Quality. He won three out of four starts. Tied a track record at seven furlongs. In his three wins he defeated Diabolical, In Summation, Songster, and Bernardini!!! He's currently standing for $4,000 in Florida. Predicting a sire's success at stud is always a gamble, but I'd be happy to bet on that stud fee going up once his children have been racing for a few years (his first crop will be two year olds in 2010). Does Exclusive Quality match up well with Comic Relief? I have no idea. But until someone shows me convincing statistical evidence that concepts like 'nicks' have predictive value, I'll go with the approach of 'breeding the best to the best'. And given his brilliance on the track, I believe that Exclusive Quality is a lot closer to 'the best' than his stud fee would indicate.

No comments: